SHS Campuses Turning Into Covid-19 Death Camp – Another Student Dies

Another Senior High School student has died of suspected COVID-19 on his school campus where he was detained too long by authorities after he fell ill and exhibited symptoms similar to COVID-19, Whatsup News has gathered.

The 21-year-old Nathaniel Yankey, a final year student of Gwiraman Senior High School in the Western Region, died Wednesday morning at the Esikado Hospital shortly after he had been put on a ventilator.

His distraught mother, Mena Adwoa Esson, is blaming the authorities for the untimely death of her son who virtually had to sneak and steal away from campus so he could travel home for proper treatment.

As Nathan’s death comes just a week after Richard Leonard Sam, a student of the KNUST SHS died on campus, the fear has emerged that the SHS campuses on which President Akufo-Addo has detained students are becoming Covid-19 death camps.

Nathaniel is said to have suddenly developed COVID-like symptoms on Saturday, July 11. his mother tells journalists that her son called home complaining of a serious headache. Following this, a teacher called her and also informed her of her son’s illness.

“So I asked him, so you being a teacher, what have you done about it? Haven’t you heard of what happened in Kumasi? It’s all over the airwaves, Connect FM has even reported. But he responded that Nat’s friends had sent him to the hospital.”

She said she became livid when she was told by her son that at the hospital he had been given generic painkiller, paracetamol.

“I was livid! How could they give him only paracetamol? I told him I was coming for him, but again, he declined. He said the hospital was taking GH¢150 so I sent it to him.”

 “It was on Tuesday that when I spoke to him, I realized he sounded weak so I insisted I was going to school. But he told me he was en-route back home as he was not feeling too well. I asked him whether he had informed the school authorities to which he replied that he had not done so because he would have been asked to go and continue with the paracetamol medication,” the grieving mother told reporters.

“When he got here, I sent him to the hospital and they immediately put him on oxygen and other machines. He passed away on the dawn of Wednesday”.

 Meanwhile, as the students remain on campus, the ruling party, NPP, has been taking advantage to campaign for votes from them as the government calculates that these students can easily be swayed by its Free SHS policy


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here