The Headquarters team of the Police Criminal Investigation Department (CID), investigating the Abesim serial murders on Tuesday, August 24, 2021, discovered a place where the suspect, Richard Appiah, buried the intestines of one of the murder victims.
This is according to an update from the Police on the macabre murders in which the suspect’s fridge had been packed with three decapitated heads of his suspected victims.
“The intestines were buried in a cocoa farm at Abesim, which the Police have since exhumed for pathological analysis and forensic examination in Accra. Two sharp cutlasses with bloodstains used by the suspect to commit the crime were retrieved from the scene,” stated a statement undersigned by ACP Kwesi Fori, Director General of Public Affairs..
It said the Acting Inspector General of Police Dr. George Akuffo Dampare, has directed the Counselling Department of the Service to provide trauma reduction therapy, counselling and other psychological support to the affected families whose relations were murdered in Abesim and also to the Police officers in charge of the investigations.
On Tuesday, Personnel from the Homicide Unit of the Ghana Police Service, Headquarters, Accra, arrived in Abesim to commence investigation into the killing of three boys at Abesim near Sunyani in the Bono Region.
The police in Sunyani arrested 28-year-old Richard Appiah, said to be a footballer and radio commentator, who is believed to have murdered the three children and kept their body parts for suspected cannibalism.
Among leftover human meat were the decapitated heads of three suspected victims, which he had stored in a fridge.
The victims are a 12-year-old, Louis Agyeman Junior and his 15-year-old stepbrother Stephen Sarpong. The third victim is yet to be identified.
The bodies were found in his living quarters.
On Sunday, the police arrested another suspect (name withheld) to assist in investigations.
The homicide team from the national Headquarters is being supported by Sunyani Municipal and Abesim Police personnel.
Last Sunday, the IGP led a delegation to visit families of the two boys to console them and directed that the homicide team take over the case.