Military Says It Did Nothing Wrong By Pulling Down An Akufo Addo Billboard

The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has insisted that its men did nothing wrong by demolishing a billboard that had the face of President Nana Akufo-Addo on it.
Yesterday Thursday, January 14, 2021, a video went viral showing a group of military officers enthusiastically pulling down the billboard on a 250-acre land at Kpeletsoo in the Greater Accra Region.

The billboard which also held words of appreciation to the President for allegedly returning
Kpeletsoo lands to the people of La was dismantled by a detachment of military
officers from the Teshie Military barracks.

However, speaking to online new portal GhanaWeb , Col. Eric Aggrey-Quarshie, the Director of Public Relations of the GAF said that the military did nothing wrong in the action.

“Who went to put the billboard there? Let them tell you why they want it there and let them tell you their side of things and why they would be engaging with someone and still go ahead to do things like that,” he said.


Secretary/Spokesperson of the Coalition of La Association, Jeffrey Tetteh, who was speaking on The Pulse on JoyNews, explained that they were of the notion that the land had been released to them in November 2020, after decades of government control.


“Last year, the Minister for Lands set up a tripartite committee involving the Lands Commission, the La Traditional Council, and the high command of the GAF. The final verdict was given on November 27, 2020, during which the military was represented,” he said.
He added that they noticed that some portions of the land were being developed by some Chinese developers believed to have acquired the land from the military and had gone to the land only for the military to confront them.


The billboard showed an appreciation to President Akufo Addo for reportedly returning the lands to the community. But it appears the military high command thinks otherwise.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here