The Military officers who shot into a crowd of protestors at Ejura on Tuesday, killing two and injuring many had been sent on that assignment by the Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah.
Mr. Osei Mensah owned up to the deployment in an interview with Kasapa FM.
“There are several questions that who really ordered the soldiers to go there. I ordered them to go there. I requested for the military to offer us support as head of the Regional Security Council,” he said.
Mr. Mensah explained that he had ordered the deployment of the heavily armed soldiers and Police after he received intelligence.
“I got intel that they (youth) said after the burial of Kaaka, they will move and burn the Police Station and burn to death two persons who the Police are keeping in custody in connection with the death of Kaaka. So I realized that wouldn’t help and truly they were going to do that,” he stated.
The revelation clarifies the issue of whether the murderous military and Police officers had been officially deployed to quell the demonstration by unarmed civilians at Ejura at all.
In a video capturing their confrontation with the demonstrators, some officers are seen shooting into the crowd which had been demonstrating over the murder of a #FixTheCountry Movement sympathiser, Ibrahim Mohammed, alias Macho Kaaka.
Simon Osei Mensah’s confession comes after Interior Minister Ambrose Dery, set up a 3-member committee to conduct a Public Inquiry into the circumstances that led to the killings after President Akufo-Addo had ordered a probe.
The Minister is expected to present a comprehensive report with recommendations next week.