Some angry beneficiaries stormed the premises of the Finance Ministry on Monday to demand the payment of their stipends. The beneficiaries who were clad in redhead and wrist bands say they have not been paid for the past six to 10 months.
They bemoaned the hardship they have been forced to endure over the period as a result of the non-payment of their allowances.
Citi News‘ Nii Armah Amaah who joined the demonstrators reported that they marched to the Ministry but were prevented from entering the inner perimeter.
“After they had marched through the principal streets of Accra, they thought they would come and meet the Finance Minister himself but unfortunately, they were not allowed in. About three of their officials were however allowed to enter to speak to officials. A team of police officers also came to the scene to ensure order,” he said.
A beneficiary who spoke to Citi News said the government had not paid them for some months.
This is not the first time, beneficiaries of the programme are staging a demonstration over the delays in the payment of allowances due them.
In March this year, a similar protest was held with the latest organised in August 2019.
In June, the Chief Executive Officer of the Forestry Commission, John Owusu Afriyie, assured that salaries owed recruits would be paid by the close of June 2019 but to no avail.
Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie had earlier explained that some of the beneficiaries were enrolled on other government youth intervention programs and may have been receiving double allowances so his outfit has expunged their names from the Commission’s register.